5.22.2010

May I say it? I almost get a boner when I listen to You Can Leave Your Hat On, written by Randy Newman and made infamous by Joe Cocker as the background music for the Kim Bassinger striptease in the movie 9 1/2 Weeks.




There is another more recent song that pushes my button, too. And like Cocker, the artist Carrie Rodriguez is no slouch. Raised in Austin, TX and schooled at Berklee College of Music in Boston, Carrie strikes me as a gifted writer and musician. She has hit the Alt Country & Americana scene full blast over the last few years.

I found Carrie quite by accident, tooling around iTunes. Once I heard the song 50's French Movie I immediately had to hear the snippets of all of her songs. After listening to (and buying) the 2006 release Seven Angels On A Bicycle and the '08 followup She Ain't Me, I added her into the Lucky Dog favorite musician list; not just because of the sexuality of the song (which is undeniable) but because of the the authenticity of her songs, including 50's FM. Rodriguez's music strikes me as akin to that classic human cross between submissive and dominate. Her lyrics and music trampoline between "I know who I am and I know what I want" and "I'm willing to negotiate." I'm no music critic but that's real, authentic and basic. Not give & take. Give & get. Ain't that right..


Kim's lookin' good in that movie but based on what I hear and see from Carrie Rodriguez, she's got more mental meat on the bone and could give me a boner and make me blush. Give & get.



No comments:

Post a Comment